Should I Be Concerned If I See One Termite In My Raleigh Home?
April 15, 2022
Termites are some of the most dreaded pests for homeowners with how destructive they are to homes and man-made structures. Still, unfortunately, they're widespread infestations that are difficult to discover. Despite being essential to the natural death and decay of plant life in nature, active termites cause an estimated $30 billion in damage to homes, businesses, and crops annually in the United States. Homeowners often spend thousands of dollars on repairing termite damage after an infestation. It is imperative to know how to identify the signs of termites, where to find reliable pest control in Raleigh for both prevention and extermination, and how to get the best termite control for your Raleigh home if you already have a termite problem on your hands.
What Do Termites Look Like?
Termites almost look like ants, given their similar size and body structures, but there are plenty of differences that set these pests apart from their ant relatives:
- Termite workers and soldiers have a soft exterior instead of ants' hard exoskeletons.
- Ants have much more defined waists than termites.
- Termites have straight antennae, whereas ants have elbowed antennae.
- Termite workers and soldiers are more of a yellowish-cream color; ants can be a variety of colors, including black, brown, yellow, and red.
- Winged ants have two pairs of asymmetrical wings, while winged termites have two pairs of equal-sized wings.
- Termite heads are much larger and more bulbous than ant heads.
If I See One Termite, Are There More?
Unlike ants, an active termite infestation is difficult to detect because termites are incredibly reclusive. They're rarely seen outside of their tunnels and galleries, so seeing a termite worker without digging into the walls of your Raleigh home is a definite sign of an ongoing termite problem. Termite swarmers are even worse to discover in your home, as this often means a termite infestation is large enough to release reproductive termites.
What Are Some Signs Of Termite Activity?
Most signs of termites look like the result of innocuous household activity to the untrained eye, like common miscellaneous debris or tiny holes where thumbtacks once resided. It's easy to overlook and a dangerous mistake to make, but once you know the signs of termites, it's much easier to identify an infestation:
- Shed wings around door frames, window frames, and the foundation of your property. This is the earliest warning sign of an infestation.
- Mud tubes that climb up from the base of your foundation to the exposed wood.
- Piles of sawdust-like material, or frass, outside of small pinholes called exit holes.
- Swollen window and door frames that are difficult to open and close.
- Discolored, sagging, and drooping drywall and ceiling.
- Hollow-sounding wood when tapped.
- Dry, crumbly wooden fixtures.
- Tiny pinholes in drywall, wooden beams, furniture, and decoration.
How Can Professional Termite Control Help?
Professional pest control for your Raleigh home isn't just recommended when it comes to termites; it's necessary for the safety of your home and property. A good, reliable home pest control company will provide preventative plans, thorough extermination services, and warranties on all of the termite treatments they provide, and you'll get that and more with our pest experts at Southern Pest Solutions. We provide the best termite control in Raleigh with our free inspections, comprehensive treatment plans, and warranties on all of our high-quality pest services. You shouldn't live in fear of termites eating you out of house and home, so get in contact with us today to learn more about your options.