Spiders: they're either the stuff of nightmares or gentle, misunderstood creatures. But whether you love them or hate them, there's no denying that having spiders in your home is usually not a welcome sight. If you're dealing with a spider problem in Raleigh, you're not alone; many homeowners face this issue every year.
While most of the spiders that invade our homes are relatively harmless, there are a few species in this area that can be dangerous. The experts at Southern Pest Solutions will discuss the different types that can be found in Raleigh, as well as some ways to get rid of spiders naturally. We will also talk about the benefits of professional pest control in Raleigh and how it can help get rid of spiders for good.
Species Of Spiders That Can Be Found In Raleigh And How To Identify Them
Many different types of spiders can be found in Raleigh homes. A few of the most common spiders in Raleigh here include:
- Cellar spiders: These spiders are usually dark brown or gray in color and have long, thin legs. They get their name from the fact that they are often found in cellars or basements.
- Wolf spiders: These spiders are large and can be up to two inches in length. They are brown or gray in color and have a striped pattern on their backs.
- House spiders: As the name suggests, these spiders are one of the most common found in homes. They vary in color but are usually brown or gray.
- Daddy longlegs: These spiders are long and thin, with long legs. They are usually gray or brown in color.
- Grass spiders: These spiders are usually yellow or green and have long legs. They get their name from the fact that they often build their webs in grassy areas.
- Brown recluse spiders: These spiders are brown and have a violin-shaped marking on their backs. They are often found in dark, secluded areas such as basements or closets.
- Black widows: These spiders are black and have a red hourglass-shaped marking on their backs. They are one of the most dangerous types of spiders found in Raleigh.
If you see a spider in your home and you're not sure what type it is, it's always best to contact a professional pest control company like Southern Pest Solutions for assistance. Our experts can identify the type of spider and advise you, based on the level of risk, whether or not you need to be concerned.
In the meantime, you can check for signs of a spider infestation in your home by:
- Checking for webs in corners, around windows and doors, or in other secluded areas
- Seeing if you can spot any spiders themselves crawling around
- Noticing if you have any unusual bites that you think could be from a spider
While the occasional spider in your home is usually nothing to worry about, if you start to see multiple spiders or spider webs, it's a good idea to contact a professional pest control company for assistance.
Southern Pest Solutions offers comprehensive spider control services that can help get rid of spiders in your Raleigh home for good. Our experts will use the latest technology and products to get rid of spiders quickly and effectively, so you can enjoy your home spider-free.
Some Spiders Are More Dangerous Than Others — Here's What You Need To Know
If you're like most people, the sight of a spider in your home is enough to send you running for the nearest can of bug spray. But before you go on the offensive, it's important to understand that not all spiders are created equal. While it's true that most spiders are generally harmless, there are a few species in Raleigh that can be dangerous. The most dangerous spiders found in this area include black widows and brown recluse spiders.
Black widow spiders are the most venomous spider species in North America, and they can be found in the Raleigh area. Their bites can cause serious health problems, including nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and muscle cramps. In some cases, black widow bites can even be fatal. You can identify a black widow spider by its black color and the red hourglass-shaped marking on its back.
Brown recluse spiders are also dangerous, though their bites are not usually as serious as a black widow's. Brown recluse bites can cause severe health problems, including necrosis (death of tissue) and ulceration at the site of the bite. You can identify a brown recluse spider by its brown color and the violin-shaped marking on its back.
If you see either of these spiders in your home, it's important to leave it alone and call Southern Pest Solutions for professional help. Our experts have the training and experience necessary to safely remove these spiders from your home. We also provide effective Raleigh spider control solutions that are designed to keep all spiders away from your home.
Five Naturally Effective Spider Prevention Tips For Around Your Home
There are a few simple things you can do to help prevent spiders from taking up residence in your home. Here are some tips on natural home defense for spiders you can implement today:
- Keep your house clean and clutter-free. Spiders like to build their webs in dark, secluded areas. By keeping your house clean and free of clutter, you'll make it less attractive to spiders. Be sure to vacuum regularly and dust all surfaces, including baseboards, windowsills, and ceiling corners.
- Fix any cracks or gaps in your home. Spiders can enter your home through tiny cracks and gaps. Be sure to seal any cracks in your foundation, walls, or floors. You can also use caulk or weatherstripping to seal gaps around doors and windows.
- Keep your yard clean and free of debris. Spiders like to hide in tall grass, piles of leaves, or woodpiles. To discourage them from setting up shop in your yard, keep the grass short, regularly rake leaves, and store firewood away from your house.
- Use a natural spider repellent. There are a few natural substances that spiders don't like, including citrus oil, eucalyptus oil, and peppermint oil. You can make your own spider repellent by mixing these oils with water and spraying them around the perimeter of your home.
- Remove their insect prey. Spiders are predators, so they're drawn to places where there are lots of insects. By reducing the number of insects in and around your home, you'll also reduce the number of spiders. Be sure to regularly remove any food sources for insects, such as garbage, pet food, or spilled drinks.
By following these tips, you can keep spiders away from your home without using harsh store-bought sprays. However, if you have a persistent spider problem, it's best to call a professional pest control company like Southern Pest Solutions. Our experts will be able to identify the source of the problem and develop a treatment plan to get rid of spiders for good.
Professional Pest Control Makes The Best Spider Control
Although there are some things you can do to prevent spiders from entering your home, the best way to keep them out is with professional pest control. At Southern Pest Solutions, we are experts at spider control with over 50 years of combined experience. We know how to identify the different species of these pests and get rid of them for good.
We have an intensive, five-step spider control process to get rid of spiders in your house:
- Inspection: We will perform a thorough inspection of your property, looking for signs of spider activity. This will help us identify the areas that are most likely to be infested.
- Web sweep and sanitation: We will address your yard, basement, crawl space, and other areas where spiders are likely to hide. This includes removing any existing webs.
- Liquid spider treatment: We will apply a residual insecticide around all entry points and the perimeter of your house to target indoor spiders.
- Dusting spider treatment: If you're dealing with a larger infestation, we will apply insecticide dust between your wall voids, in your attic, and under your baseboards.
- Spider monitoring: We will use glue boards to catch spiders and monitor the population. By strategically placing the glue boards in hot spots, we can ensure maximum results.
With Southern Pest Solutions, you can rest assured that your spider problem will be taken care of quickly and effectively. We're a small, tight-knit group of pest control professionals who formed our company with the goal of improving industry standards and providing top-notch customer service. We're passionate about what we do, and we'll work tirelessly to solve your spider problem.
And because we guarantee our work 100%, you can have peace of mind knowing that your home will be spider-free. Contact us today to receive a free quote and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Raleigh. We look forward to serving you.