What are termites?
The most common termites that invade homes and other structures in the Raleigh area are subterranean termites. These termites nest underground, and a single colony can have more than two million members. Termites are social insects and work together to ensure the success of their colony. Though each termite is small, the damage they cause by feeding on wood and wooden structures is big when they work together. Termites cause more than five billion dollars in damages across the U.S each year. Do not underestimate termites and the costly damage they can cause.
Are termites dangerous?
The biggest threat with subterranean termites is that their presence can go unnoticed for months or years. Generally, it isn't until the damage they have already caused is noticed that a termite infestation is discovered. Being proactive and stopping termites from invading your home is key to preventing the damage these "silent invaders" can cause. Termites are not a direct threat to people, but they are a direct threat to the structure of our homes!
Why do I have a termite problem?
The warm, humid weather that North Carolina is known for allows termites to thrive. Subterranean termites have high moisture needs and gravitate to damp soil to create their nests and water-damaged or decaying wood feed on.
Any Raleigh property could become victim to a termite infestation, but those located near wooded areas are most susceptible. In addition, properties and homes with moisture problems caused by leaky pipes, poor drainage, bad ventilation, and excess humidity are highly attractive to wood-eating termites.
Where will I find termites?
In most cases, you are going to find subterranean termites in one of three places:
- In their underground nest
- Traveling through mud tubes
- Feeding on the interior of wood
Termites typically enter homes at ground level or below ground level, moving inside through cracks in the foundation or pieces of wood making contact with the ground. Once inside, they move through the floors and behind walls searching for wood to invade. As time goes by, a termite infestation will move up the walls of your home and eventually move into spaces above ceilings. Wood located around water pipes, windows, doors, vents, and drains is the most susceptible to water damage and infestation by termites.
How do I get rid of termites?
Termites are a constant threat to properties in North Carolina. The best way to safeguard your home from them is by partnering with a professional. Southern Pest Solutions is a locally owned and operated company that understands the unique needs of property owners in the Raleigh area.
At Southern Pest Solutions, we will eliminate and control termites in Raleigh by completing interior and exterior inspections and implementing effective treatments based on the specific needs of your property. Our goal is to provide the services necessary to take back your property from destructive termites. Contact us today to learn more about our termite control service for your home or to request your free quote!
How can I prevent termites in the future?
We have compiled a list of our most helpful tips to deter termites and keep them from damaging the structure of your Raleigh home.
- Eliminate excess moisture that attracts termites by repairing leaky pipes, dripping hoses, air conditioners, and areas with poor drainage.
- Always keep a barrier between any soil or mulch and your foundation.
- Limit as much wood-to-ground contact on your home and property as possible.
- Remove things like leaf piles, fallen trees, and tree stumps that will attract hungry termites to your property.
- Routinely inspect for mud tubs running along the ground or along the foundation or basement walls.
- Replace any wood in your home that becomes damaged by water immediately.
- Repair damage to your foundation.
- Contact Southern Pest Solutions for termite control service for your Raleigh property you can rely on.