There's nothing quite as eerie as hearing the sound of scurrying rats in your home. If you've been dealing with a rat infestation, you're probably looking for a way to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Rats can be dangerous pests, and they can also cause extensive damage to your home or business.
At Southern Pest Solutions, we know a thing or two about getting rid of rats. We provide comprehensive pest control services in Durham, and with more than 50 years of combined industry experience, we know how to get the job done right. Here, we'll discuss the habits and behaviors of common rats, as well as the factors that attract them to your property. We will also provide tips on how to safely and effectively remove rats from your home with pest control in Durham. So if you're ready to take back your property from these pesky rodents, keep reading.
Habits And Behaviors Of Common Rats
There are two main types of rats that invade Durham homes, Norway rats and roof rats. Norway rats are also called brown rats, and they're the larger of the two species. They can grow up to 18 inches long, including their tails. Norway rats are typically brown or gray, with white undersides. They have coarse fur that is easy to distinguish from the fur of other animals.
Roof rats are also called black rats, and they're smaller than Norway rats. They can grow up to 16 inches long from nose to tail. Roof rats are typically black or brown, with light-colored undersides. They have soft fur that is similar in color to their body. Both of these types of rats are excellent climbers, and they're often found in attics and upper floors of homes.
Rats are most active at night, which is when they will come out to forage for food. They are omnivorous, and they will eat just about anything, including meat, plants, and garbage. Rats will also gnaw on wires and pipes, which can cause extensive damage to your property.
Another characteristic of rats is that they're very adaptable creatures. They can live in a wide variety of climates and habitats, which is one of the reasons why they're such successful pests. They tend to enter homes in search of food and shelter, and they're attracted to properties that offer these things. They can get inside your home in a number of different ways, including through cracks and holes in the foundation, gaps around doors and windows, and sewer lines. Once they're inside, they're very difficult to get rid of.
Rats reproduce quickly and can have litters of up to 12 offspring at a time. This is one of the reasons why it's so important to get rid of them as soon as you notice an infestation. If left unchecked, a rat problem can quickly spiral out of control.
If you think you might have rats on your property, look for the following signs:
- Droppings: Rats leave behind small, dark droppings that are about 1/4 inch in size. You might find droppings near food sources, in nesting areas, or along their regular routes of travel.
- Gnawing: Rats need to gnaw on hard objects to keep their teeth from getting too long. You might see gnawed holes in food containers, walls, or electrical wiring.
- Noises: You might hear the scurrying sounds of rats inside your walls or attic, especially at night.
- Footprints: Rats leave behind smudged footprints that are about half an inch in size. You might see these footprints along baseboards, in dusty areas, or near droppings.
If you see any of these signs, don’t hesitate to give us a call at Southern Pest Solutions. We will be happy to come out and take a look around your property, and we will develop a customized plan to get rid of the rats for good.
Why Rats Around Your Home Can Be Dangerous
Rats are known to be one of the most dangerous pests for good reason. They can cause a great deal of damage to your property, and they can also pose a serious health risk to you and your family in a number of different ways:
- Rats are known to gnaw on wiring, which can cause fires. They also like to chew on wood and other materials, which can damage the structure of your home.
- Rats can contaminate your food supply with their urine and droppings, which can lead to food poisoning. This is especially dangerous for young children and the elderly.
- Rats can also spread diseases, including hantavirus, rat-bite fever, and salmonellosis. The diseases rats carry can be serious or even deadly, so it's important to take precautions if you think you've been exposed to them.
- Rats can also simply be a nuisance by making noise and leaving droppings around your home.
If you have rats on your property, it's important to take action immediately to get rid of them. The longer they're allowed to stay, the more damage they can do.
If you're dealing with a rat problem, Southern Pest Solutions can help. We offer comprehensive rodent control services in Durham that will eliminate these pests, protecting you from the diseases caused by rats and your home from damage. We use only the latest and most effective methods and products to ensure that your home or business is free of these unwanted guests.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Rats To Your Home
A good way to prevent a rat invasion is to remove the factors that are attracting them to your home in the first place. Some of the most common attractants include:
- Food sources: Rats are attracted to food, so be sure to keep your kitchen clean and free of open food sources and crumbs. Make sure to keep food in sealed containers and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Water sources: Rats need water to survive, so they're attracted to properties that offer water sources. Eliminate standing water around your property, and repair any leaks that you find.
- Shelter: Rats like to nest in dark, secluded places. Remove any piles of debris or clutter from around your property, and seal any cracks or holes in the foundation.
- Pet food: If you have pet food outdoors, make sure it's in a sealed container. And if you have bird feeders, keep them clean and free of spilled seed.
In addition to removing these attractants, you should also take steps to prevent rats from getting inside your home. This includes sealing cracks and holes in the foundation, and gaps around doors, windows, and sewer lines. You can also install door sweeps and screens on all of your doors and windows for extra protection.
If you need help determining what's attracting rats to your property or preventing them from getting inside, Southern Pest Solutions can help. We're experts in rat control, and we can help you get rid of your problem for good.
The Safe And Effective Way To Get Rid Of Rats
Once you realize you have a rat problem, you want them gone, and gone for good. So, how do you get rid of rats? And more importantly, how do you keep them from coming back?
Although your first instinct might be to run to the store and buy a bunch of rat traps, that’s not always the best solution. Rat traps can be messy and sometimes they don’t work as well as you’d hope. Rats are clever creatures and they quickly learn to avoid traps that aren't strategically placed. You may catch one or two using this method, but rats reproduce quickly, so more will likely take their place.
The best way to get rid of rats in your home is to call a professional pest control company like Southern Pest Solutions. Our rat control service involves a rigorous three-step process of inspection, treatment, and follow-up. We start by thoroughly inspecting your property to identify all the places rats are getting in. We also look for any potential sources of food or water that might be attracting them.
Once we’ve located all the entry points and potential attractants, we seal up the holes and provide you with a customized plan to keep rats away. Our highly trained and experienced technicians use a variety of effective baiting and trapping methods to make sure your rat problem is gone for good. During this process, we also take extra steps to ensure your pets and children are kept safe.
We will then follow up with you after our initial treatment to make sure the rats are gone and that your property is still rat-free. We also provide tips on how to prevent rats from coming back in the future.
At Southern Pest Solutions, we take pride in the quality of our work and we guarantee our rat control services. If you think you have a rat problem, don’t wait; call us today to schedule an inspection. We’ll be happy to come out and take a look. We’re confident we can solve your problem quickly and effectively, so you can get back to enjoying your home.